An Estonian girl who has found a home in Sweden.

Wednesday, July 30

Vacation -- Edinburgh, part 2

July 30, 2008 Posted by Vaire

Sunday morning was a bit drizzly and when I was heading out I realised that I'd left my jacket at the event site. After briefly contemplating bothering the event stewards about it, I decided not to. The jacket was in good condition, but it had become too big, so I let them know that they could do whatever they wished with it.

I went shopping instead. I'd put off shopping for light duster type coat/jacket because it's the wrong season here in Sweden. No-one needs or wears a jacket in the summer, it is too warm, it doesn't rain very often and when it rains, it pours. The fall garments haven't appeared in the stores yet, we are still in the middle of the summer. So I figured I'd go shop for a jacket in September or so, in the end of August earliest.

The weather in Edinburgh, on the other hand, encourages jackets all year round. It had been generally drizzly, windy and overcast the whole week, with a few moments of sunshine. I reasoned that even if it was summer, people were wearing jackets and coats, so there must be some in the stores.

Well, it was not that simple. You'd think it never rained a drop in Edinburgh based on the selection in some clothing shops. I finally located a rack of jackets and coats in TK Maxx. Most of the styles were complete ugh (that's why I'd left this store to the last), but there was one coat that was perfection itself. Black, light, soft, rain resistant, and most importantly, with a pleated skirt part that comes down to knees. The exact style I've wanted for years and never seen in a store.

The best part? It fits! I was so happy to find it that I decided not to care about the buttons and bought it. (I hate buttons, always have and always will. Yuck!) I also bought a carry-on bag because my suitcase weighed over 20 kilos when I'd arrived and I didn't want to pay overweight on the way back.

It was a good thing I did because my hostess had learned that there was a yarn sale going on at Jenners and John Lewis. We visited both stores on Monday and with the amount of yarn I bought, I really needed the carry-on bag.

I came home with: 12 balls of of Noro Cash Iroha (black), two balls of Rowan Bamboo Tape (black), two hanks of Sulka Merino (black), 8 balls of Rowan Kidsilk Night (plum) and a kit for Shaun. I love the character and I'm going to knit him for myself.

After the shopping, where my hostess showed much more restraint than I did, we had dinner in a pub before we went home. I had bangers and mash, one of my favourite Brit-foods. We'd had haggis for dinner one night and I loved it. It is similar to verivorst (Estonian sausage with blood), but it had liver in it. I think. Which in my book makes it even better. I'm not very keen on actually finding out exactly what do they put in haggis, but I'm definitely going to have some more the next time I'm in Scotland.

My flight was around noon on Tuesday, but I didn't want to take any chances so I left early. Took a bus to down town, then an airport coach from Waverly Station. Stood in line to check in for ever because they only had one desk for all SAS flights. After half an hour, someone had some lights coming on upstairs and opened a second desk. Had a brunch of Cornish pasty (yum!) and browsed the stores a little. Bought some gifts and The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett.

My flight was uneventful (although there was lots going on in Discworld), so was the train / subway ride home.

The End.