An Estonian girl who has found a home in Sweden.

Monday, March 10

The Great Batt Experiment 2014 - Strips

March 10, 2014 Posted by Vaire ,

The first experiment is almost done. I divided the batt into half lengthwise, and then into thirds width-wise. I set aside the two other thirds and tore one into six strips lengthwise.

The Great Batt Experiment 2014

I spun each strip with short draw, using a drop spindle. For the plied yarns I wound plying balls and as usual the lengths of the singles were not equal, so I used Andean plying bracelet to finish off the 2-ply and chain plying for the 3-ply.

The Great Batt Experiment 2014

Here are the results, from left to right: 3-ply, 2-ply, and singles (1 ply). The yarns are a bit uneven, but I'm not bothered by that. I tried to spin balanced singles, but the unwashed skein twisted quite a bit. Probably because I am so used to spinning for plying and introducing extra twist for that. They did even out after a soak and a wash, but still have a slight twist to the skein.

Another interesting phenomenon is that my spinning became finer and finer as I went along. There is only 20 metres of 2-ply, and 30 metres of 3-ply. I had decided not to specifically practice consistency, just to spin and see what happens, and apparently my fingers decided for themselves to see how fine they can go.

I need to get some card stock to make sample cards and then knit up the sample swatches. It is going to be interesting to see how the yarns knit up. So far my favourite is the singles skein. The red and black become too muddled in the 2-ply and 3-ply.