An Estonian girl who has found a home in Sweden.

Monday, March 30

The Great Batt Experiment 2014 - From the Fold Swatches

30.3.15 Posted by Vaire , ,

These are the swatches from experiment #3. I had aimed for fingering weight across the yarns and it was very difficult to get even yarn. Most likely because this was my first try to spin from the fold. I'm not happy with any of these yarns, they are very uneven with random lumps in.

The Great Batt Experiment 2014 - From The Fold

This is the singles swatch. The technique blended the colours somewhat. I used the same needle as for previous swatches (3 mm), and the same number of stitches cast on (30). I knitted until I ran out of yarn.

The Great Batt Experiment 2014 - From The Fold

This is the swatch from 2-ply. Same needles, same amount of stitches, used up all the yarn.

The Great Batt Experiment 2014 - From The Fold

This is the swatch from 3-ply. Same needles, same amount of stitches, there is a small amount of yarn left.

The Great Batt Experiment 2014 - From The Fold

Clockwise from the top left: 3-ply, 2-ply, singles, and I forgot to make the sample card. Like this, side by side, it is easy to see that the the single yarn is least blended, and how there is not much difference between 2-ply and 3-ply. Which means that this method of prepping the batt is not suitable for the effect I want to achieve.

I have decided not to continue with the experiment because all the methods that are left are going to blend the yarn first in the single, and then even more if I ply it. I have my answer and decision how to achieve the yarn I want from the special black/orange batt — tear strips lengthways from the batt and spin a singles yarn.

The End of The Great Batt Experiment 2014.